Columbus Guardianship Lawyer
Legal Guidance For Guardianship Matters in Ohio
At Boller & Petty, LLC, we understand the complex and sensitive nature of guardianship matters. Our experienced team of legal professionals is dedicated to providing compassionate and knowledgeable guidance to families in Columbus, Ohio, seeking to establish guardianship arrangements. With a deep understanding of the intricacies of guardianship law, we are committed to ensuring the best interests and well-being of those who may require a guardian.
Call Boller & Petty, LLC today at (614) 756-2827 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our guardianship attorney in Columbus!
What is Guardianship?
Guardianship is a legal arrangement that grants an individual, known as a guardian, the legal authority and responsibility to make decisions on behalf of someone unable to make decisions for themselves. This could be due to age, disability, illness, or other incapacitating circumstances. The role of a guardian involves making decisions related to personal, financial, and healthcare matters for the individual in need of protection.
Types of Guardianship
Our skilled Columbus guardianship lawyers are well-versed in the various types of guardianship that can arise in different situations:
- Guardianship of Minors: When parents cannot care for their children due to unforeseen circumstances, a guardian can be appointed to provide for the child's welfare, including making decisions about their education, health, and upbringing.
Adult Guardianship: This type of guardianship applies to adults who cannot make decisions
due to mental illness, disability, or other incapacitating factors. Adult
guardianship can be further categorized into two main types:
- Guardianship of the Person: This involves decisions about the individual's living arrangements, medical care, and personal well-being.
- Guardianship of the Estate: This pertains to managing the individual's financial affairs and assets.
- Limited Guardianship: In cases where the individual retains certain abilities and capacities, limited guardianship can be established. This arrangement allows the individual to retain decision-making power in certain areas while the guardian takes over others.
- Emergency Guardianship: When an individual is in immediate danger and requires urgent assistance, a court can temporarily appoint an emergency guardian to make decisions.
Ohio Guardianship Process
Navigating the guardianship process in Ohio can be complex, but with your experienced legal team at Boller & Petty, LLC, you can proceed confidently. Here's an overview of the general steps involved in establishing guardianship:
- Petition: The process begins with petitioning the appropriate court for guardianship. Our skilled attorneys will assist you in preparing all necessary documentation accurately and comprehensively.
- Evaluation: The court typically appoints an evaluator to assess the individual's capacity and needs. This evaluation helps the court determine whether guardianship is necessary and what type of guardianship would be suitable.
- Notice: All interested parties must be notified of the proceedings, including family members and those needing guardianship. Our lawyers ensure that all required parties are informed according to legal requirements.
- Hearing: A hearing is scheduled where evidence is presented to the court to establish the need for guardianship. Our legal team will skillfully represent your case, presenting the relevant information to demonstrate the necessity of guardianship.
- Appointment: A guardian is appointed once the court is satisfied that guardianship is in the individual's best interests. The guardian then assumes the responsibilities outlined by the court.
Contact Our Columbus Guardianship Attorney Today
Our dedicated Columbus guardianship lawyers are committed to providing unwavering support to families and individuals navigating the complexities of guardianship. We understand the emotional challenges of these situations and are here to guide you through every step of the process. With a focus on personalized attention and a deep knowledge of Ohio guardianship laws, we strive to ensure the protection and well-being of those who need it most.
Contact Boller & Petty, LLC today to schedule a consultation with our guardianship lawyer in Columbus!